Disturbance Ecology RG
Research Group Leader
Ing. Rastislav Jakuš, DrSc.
Slovak Academy of Sciences
Institute of Forest Ecology
Disturbance Ecology Research Group
Ľudovíta Štúra 1774/2
960 01 Zvolen
Phone: + 421 855 5330 914, ext.312; +421 905 217 169
- Ph.D from Plant Protection (1992-1997), Technical University, Zvolen, Slovakia
- PhD. Thesis: : The spatial and time distribution of bark beetles (Col. Scolytidae) in a mountainous spruce ecosystem. Scolytidae) in a mountainous spruce ecosystem. Supervisor: Assoc. prof. Elemir Gogola & Prof. Julius Novotny
- MSc. from Forestry/Forest Protection (1988-1992), Technical University, Zvolen, Slovakia
- Bark beetles and stability of forest ecosystems in national nature reserve Polana nad Detvou. Supervisor: Assoc. prof. Elemir Gogola
- European Forest Institute, Finland (November 15, 2006 – February 15, 2007) – study stay
- EU Marie Currie fellowship, University of Orleans & INRA, France (April 1, 2003 – July 31, 2004)
- Department of Entomology, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, U.S.A. (July 1 – September 30, 2000) – Awarded Fulbright scholarship – research stay
- Department of applied zoology, Forestry Faculty, Ludwig-Maximilian University, München, Germany (August 1, 1995 – July 30, 1996) – Awarded DAAD scholarship – research stay
- Department of chemical ecology, Swedish Agricultural University, Alnarp, Sweden (March 1 – May 30, 1995)- Awarded EERO scholarship, research stay
- Pheromone group, Department of Animal Ecology, Lund University, Sweden (March 1 – June 30, 1993) – Awarded bilateral Slovak-Swedish study and research scholarship – research stay
- Forest research station in Antalya, Turkey (July 26 – August 27, 1992) – forestry practice
- Water and Environment Research Institute Nature Conservation Unit, Helsinki, Finland (August 2 – September 5, 1991) – study stay
- Faculty of Forestry and Wood Sciences, Czech University of Life Sciences, Prague, Czech Republic (2017 – present)
- Institute of Forest Ecology, Slovak Academy of Sciences, Zvolen, Slovakia (1996 – present; Head of Disturbance Ecology Research Group)
- coordinator of EU funded INCO Copernicus project: Integrated risk assessment and new pest management technology in ecosystems affected by forest decline and bark beetle outbreaks (1999 – 2002)
- Ph.D. student, Department of Forest Protection and Game Management, Technical University in Zvolen, Slovakia (1992 – 1996)
- entomologist / collections compiling Central Slovakia Museum, Banská Bystrica, Slovakia (October 1991)
- Award for forest protection act of the year 1999
- National Student Scientific Conference award in field of environmental sciences in 1992
- Third price in Regional Round of Competition in Student Field Activities in field of biology in 1987
- Award for successful solution in National Round of Biological Olympiad in 1986
- First prize in Regional Round of Biological Olympiad in 1986
- First prize in District Round of Competition in Student Field Activities in field of Biology 1986
- consultancy, bark beetle control planning and monitoring for National park Šumava and Ministry of Environment of Czech republic (2007 – 2010)
- consultancy, bark beetle control planning and monitoring for protected areas in Slovakia (2005 – 2006)
- consultancy and bark beetle control projecting for Urban forest of town Spišská Nová Ves (1995 – 2003)
- teaching of part of forest protection lessons (abiotic, biotic factors, bark beetles, bark beetle control in Faculty of Forestry and Wood Sciences, Czech University of Life Sciences Prague (2011 – present)
Relevant scientific techniques and skills acquired:
- Language skills:
- English (fluently)
- German (basic)
- Russian (fluently)
- French (beginner)
- basic understanding of Slavonic languages.
- Driving licence
- Computing skills (PC, Apple)
- Basic and advance statistic skills (SPSS, Statistica, R (basic))
- Geographic information system and remote sensing skills (IDRISI, ARC INFO, ERDAS)
- bark beetle laboratory breeding and bioassay skils
- Forest inventory and dendrometry skills
- Project management and co-ordination skills
List of my publications:
iFOREST, 14 , pp. 203-211, 2021, ISSN: 1971-7458.
Forests, 11 , 2020, ISSN: 1999-4907.
Trees-Structure and Function, 34 (6), pp. 1397–1409, 2020, ISSN: 0931-1890.
iFOREST, 13 (3), pp. 215-223, 2020, ISSN: 1971-7458.
Forests, 10 (7), 2019, ISSN: 1999-4907.
Forest Ecology and Management, 432 , pp. 489-500, 2019, ISSN: 0378-1127.
Annals of Forest Science, 74 , 2017, ISSN: 1297-966X.
Forest Ecology and Management, 391 , pp. 349-361, 2017, ISSN: 03781127.
Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, 242 , pp. 85-95, 2017.
TANABBO II model pro hodnocení rizika napadení lesních porostů lýkožroutem smrkovým Ips typographus (L.) [Coleoptera: Curculionidae] Book
1/2017, Výzkumný ústav lesního hospodářství a myslivosti, 2017.
Lecture Notes in Geoinformation and Cartography, pp. 387-405, 2016, ISSN: 1863-2246.
Journal of Chemical Ecology, 41 (7), pp. 678-688, 2015.
Annals of Forest Research, 58 (2), pp. 295-310, 2015.
Hodnotenie zdravotného stavu smreka vo vzťahu smreka k náletu podkôrneho hmyzu a k odumieraniu lesa [Evaluation of Norway spruce helath status in relationships with bark beetle outbreak and forest dying] Book
Ústav ekológie lesa, Slovenská akadémia vied, Zvolen, 2015, ISBN: 978-80-89408-22-1.
Ústav ekológie lesa, Slovenská akadémia vied, Zvolen, 2015, ISBN: 978-80-89408-21-4.
Forest Ecology and Management, 331 , pp. 196–207, 2014.
Functional Ecology, 28 (5), pp. 1216–1223, 2014.
Forest Ecology and Management, 312 , pp. 67–77, 2014.
The relationship between potential solar radiation and spruce bark beetle catches in pheromone traps Journal Article
Annals of Forest Research, 55 (2), pp. 243-252, 2012, ISSN: 18448135.
Population dynamics of spruce bark beetle in a nature reserve in relation to stand edges conditions Journal Article
Folia Oecologica, 38 (1), pp. 73-79, 2011, ISSN: 13365266.
Folia Oecologica, 38 (1), pp. 38-45, 2011, ISSN: 1336-5266.
Folia Oecologica, 38 (1), pp. 46-51, 2011, ISSN: 1336-5266.